Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall is here!

Thankfully there has been some relief from the heat! Fall is in the air. It's my favorite season, and sadly it doesn't last long enough. This fall has been full of watching football, treehouse camping, reuniting with old friends, and some much needed r&r at the beach! Work has been non-stop since it started in August. The demands of education from a federal and state level are growing beyond what is humanly possible and we (teachers) are just trying to survive. Thankfully, one-fourth of the 'pie' is gobbled up. Only three-fourths to go! That is until the 'pie' reappears and it starts all over again.
The first 4 years I lived in Alabama I didn't mind not having a "team." It was the topic of many conversations of friends, co-workers, students, and even strangers. I would get puzzled looks that I lived in Alabama and didn't have a team. My students really had a hard time figuring that one out!
          student: "ms. smif, alabama or aubrun (most student pronunciations)?"
          me: "neither"
          student: "no, ms. smif, which one do you pull for, alabama or aubrun? i pull for aubrun."
          me: "neither... i don't have a team."
          student (really frustrated): "if you had to pull for one who would you pull for alabama or aubrun?"
Well, by default I have a team. I've made it through a season and a half as a 'fan' and am still trying to learn to say 'our team', 'we', and 'us.' Instead of 'them' or 'they.' My family isn't a fanatic fan of any team, but my dad loves him some Rebels Black Bears! When I think of animals in Mississippi I don't naturally think of Black Bears, but apparently the state has some that wander around the mighty Mississippi.

My favorite part of fall is tent camping! I like to camp at least once in the fall and once in the spring. Unfortunately I missed spring and last fall. The weekends have been so full that there hasn't been the opportunity to spend a night out. This fall I got to experience luxurious camping in a treehouse on some property that backs up to Oak Mountain State Park. It was the perfect weekend with great company, cooler temperatures, and access to the great outdoors!

Last weekend was my 10 year high school reunion. It was a great weekend with old friends. We're spread all over the country, so it was a treat to all be together again.

The upcoming weekends we'll be celebrating with friends who are uniting in marriage. I cannot wait to spend the weekend with my dear friend, Katie, who now resides in Hong Kong.

***Picture post coming soon!

No comments: