Sunday, July 12, 2009

Poppy seeds are commonly used in large amounts in desserts. My first experience with poppy seeds in Hungary began while eating with a Hungarian family from the church. Stophi {the 12 year old son} memorized the menu in English to read before we sat down to eat. When he got to dessert he said, "For dessert we will be having puppy dog." What?!?! If you sound out poppy dough with a Hungarian accent it is a common mistake to call the popular Hungarian dessert "puppy dog!" That was only the beginning of many run-ins with heaping amounts of poppy seeds. My curiosity had me questioning how they sell poppy seeds. In the States I might use one small jar of poppy seeds every 2 years! My dislike of large amounts of poppy seeds {birdseed portions} has become humorous to many Hungarians. This bag of poppy seeds was a gift from the Paulus staff after the second week of English camp. 

******************************************************************

There is so much to write and I'm not sure where to begin. This past week was similar to the week before except I was no longer working with the MBCC team, but meeting new friends from Roswell Community Church and working with them for the second week of English Camp. It was a joy to be a part of the second week of English Camp and continue relationships that were built from the first week. The party Friday night once again brought many new faces and some from the previous week came back! One lady who used to be involved in the mother's circle outreach seven years ago came to the cookout Friday night. She expressed how she misses the fellowship here at Paulus. She is planning to attend more outreach events and come on Sunday mornings! We also had many men in attendance. This is the hardest area of ministry for the Paulus Fellowship. Exciting things are happening here! 


The Americans {me and the Roswell team}

Intermediate Adult Class {13 of them!}


Making banana pudding for the party


I am constantly overwhelmed with how open the Hungarians have been to allow me to be a part of their lives this summer. My only expectations prior to this trip came from previous experiences. I knew the staff would be hospitable and church members would be welcoming and friendly, but I am amazed at the gratitude of so many in the church body. Today was my second Sunday to worship with the Paulus Fellowship (the first Sunday we were at the church retreat). Last Sunday the MBCC team was still here. Today I was the only American here, so I didn't expect to have translation during the service. I planned to spend some time reflecting over the past 3 weeks. As soon as I walked up the stairs I was warmly greeted by all of those I have gotten to know through the church retreat, English camps and some who have cooked dinner for our team during the week. After visiting with many people I found a seat on the back row. Sanyesz immediately ran up to me eager to translate the service. He is one of the guys who helped at the English Camp and will begin teaching English this September for the newest outreach program here. I moved to the front so he could translate for me. Chris Johnson, a missionary nearby, was the guest teacher and preached on "Worship." He brought me his English notes to follow along during the sermon. 


Sanyesz {never a dull moment around here!}


As I listened to the sound of Hungarian voices worshipping, I was overcome once again with the sound of God's children singing praises to him in a language he hears and understands! The sounds of the voices were so powerful I couldn't help but to join in. I sang as best as I could knowing that God hears me praising and worshipping him even in "broken" Hungarian. 


Following the church service I was bombarded by people eager to hear about the English Camps and the plans for the rest of my time here. Three different women in the church have invited me to spend a part of a day with them in their areas of town. Tomorrow Brigi will pick me up and take me to her house for a visit in the morning. She is an English teacher here and has spent some time in the States. Towards the end of the week I hope to visit Betti in Etyek on the other side of Budapest. I love her British English accent from spending time in London. Betti has a toddler and is excited about getting out of the house and showing me around. The area she lives in she calls "Hollywood." There are film studios and acting schools around the area. I also hope to have some time with Debbie, a lady from Iowa, who has two small children and another on the way. She prepared an "American" dinner for the MBCC team a couple of weeks ago. 


My schedule this week is already full. This is my "off" week to spend time with Ildiko and her family and rest before the MBCC youth get here Friday afternoon. I am taking a day trip to Vienna on Tuesday. Wednesday I will travel with Ildiko to Eger and then to pick up Benedek and Lilla who we dropped off yesterday at her parent's house. 


I can't believe in 2 weeks I will be boarding a plane heading back to the States! My time in Hungary is flying by! 


There is much more to tell, so for now I'll share some pictures recapping the week.  


There are 3 Minaretts in Hungary from when the Turks ruled. The one we visited is in Erd.


Zoli walking down the very narrow spiral staircase inside the minarette in the pitch black {I can't believe someone used to walk up and down this 6 times a day!}


Friday afternoon Kurtos Kalacs come to Diosd! yum!

me and Lilla at Hungary's highest point {Kekes 1,014 meters}

Recski Concentration Camp {1950-1953}

A local sewing club volunteering their Sunday afternoon to sew 80 handbags for the children's camp in August {a wonderful opportunity to bring more people from the area to the Paulus Community House!}


Fields of sunflowers cover the land

3 comments:

Jimbo said...

I must admit I am jealous of your visits to minarettes and Kekes. Looks like you're having a great time.

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Wow! What an amazing and blessed time you're having! I'm so glad and excited for you. Thanks for sharing so many details on the blog and all the pics!

Missy Morgan said...

loved the long update but needing more--i think your face in person will do! xoxo