Friday, August 10, 2007

When is your birthday?

Conversation I had today with a new student in my 3rd grade class.

His name is Jon'ta. It is pronounced Jon-tay.

Miss Smith: "Jon'ta, when is your birthday?"
Jon'ta looks at me with a blank stare.
Miss Smith: "Jon'ta, when is your birthday?"
Jon'ta: "Uhh, 20th Thursday."
Miss Smith: "Jon'ta, come here." When Jon'ta gets to my desk I asked. "When were you born?"
Jon'ta: "I was born September 3rd. My birthday is July 20th."

It's going to be an exciting year! There is much to teach. I think I'll start with birthdays.

2 comments:

KA said...

That is so awesome and here's a conversation from Purvis.
Teacher as she holds a green, blue, red, and yellow counting bear and after the class has discussed all the colors: What is different about these bears?
Tyler: Huh?
Teacher: What is not the same about these bears?
Tyler: They're all the same color.
Two hours later
Teacher has drawn three circles on the board: Tyler, how many circles are on the board?
Tyler: one, two, three
Teacher: Yes, that is how we count them but how many are there?
Tyler: one, two. Two.
Teacher: Let's count them. One, Two, Three. There are three circles on the board. How many circles?
Tyler: One, Two.

ccarr said...

HEY! Thanks for the call last week AND the comment on my blog! I had a wonderful birthday week last week (yes I get a whole week now) and was delighted by your birthday wishes. Are you going to Tyler's wedding?